Small or large, roof leaks can wreak havoc on your home’s walls, foundation, and exterior. Some signs are obvious, while others are more difficult to pinpoint. Look for these signs that your roof is leaking. If you detect a roof leak, act immediately to prevent any further damage.
- Water Stains or Spot on Ceiling: A brown-ringed stain on your ceiling often indicates a leak, but they can also be difficult to see, and often go unnoticed, in darker corners.
- Drips: Drips and leaks should be immediately checked, even if you don’t see them often or you think they have disappeared..
- Mossy Exterior Walls: Mossy or moldy exterior walls may be a result of a lack of direct sunlight, but they could also indicate downspout or gutter problems—integral parts of your roofing system.
- Missing Shingles/Downspout Debris: Missing, curled, or buckled shingles are access pints for water to enter your home. Pieces of shingle or granules in your downspouts are indicators of deteriorating roofing materials.
- Wet Roof Deck: Your roof deck is the 4′ x 8′ sheets of board your roof is secured to and is visible from your attic.
- Water/Rust Around Stove Pipes: If you notice water entering around your stove pipe (for example, on a fireplace) or you notice the pipe is rusting, the flashing isn’t secured properly around the pipe on the roof.
- Defective Flashing: Damaged or defective flashing allows rain to find its way into your home.
The Importance of Regular Inspections
If you suspect your roof is leaking, you should immediately schedule a professional inspection. Today’s minor damages can quickly lead to tomorrow’s major damages (meaning larger repair costs and possibly full roof replacement). Yearly professional roof inspections are recommended because roofing specialists are trained to notice less obvious areas of water intrusion that may otherwise be missed.
Trust Your Roof to the Best: Reset Roofing
If you are concerned that your home’s roof may be leaking or you have spotted one of the signs listed above, you want to partner with the best. At Reset Roofing, we constantly strive to exceed our customers’ expectations and only employ the highest quality craftsmen in the Metro Atlanta market. Contact us to inspect your home’s roof for leaks or to schedule a regular routine roof inspection today—together we can protect one of the most important aspects of your home!